Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2009

鋸山  Nokogiri Mountain

Well, a long time ago when I first started this blog and went to Ushiku Daibutsu, I cam across Mountaincat's post on Nokogiryama. Ever since then, I've been meaning to go to Nokogiri, and finally did so today!

Wanted to get there before the coachloads, so got up at 5am and got a train around 5:45 which, after a few changes, got me to Hamakanaya Station just before 8:30. The ropeway is just a 10 minute walk away from the station.

It was well worth the early start, and despite the rainy season having started here last week, the weather luckily stayed dry! Even though it felt very early, I really appreciated the beuatiful scenery as I got about 1 hour or so from Nokogiri. I saw ducks paddling in the corner of a rice field, and even two llamas in a field surprisingly!

The tourist leaflet that I got says that the great Buddha statue was well known all over Japan. It does say 'was well known'... Certainly very few people I've spoken knew about it before the documentary on NHK the other week... It was a really beautiful area, and very green, really nice!

More photos to the right link.

2 comments:

Mountaincat said...

You go there today! I thought you have been there earlier. :)

Many good shots as well. I don't see many people in photos. Was it so deserted ?

I also try to leave house around 4-5AM if I want fully enjoy travel that day. Sunrise is so early here.

Alison said...

Ah, nice to know someone else gets up at unsociable hours too sometimes! Yes, it was lovely and quiet, because I got there for the first ropeway trip.