Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

初夢  Hatsuyume - First dream

Hatsuyume means the first dream in the New Year, had on the night of January 1st. The old belief is well-known. It was believed that the first dream of the New Year would foretell your luck for the coming year.

Especially good luck is to dream of Mount Fuji, a hawk, or an aubergine... An aubergine?! The superstition is memorised in the words 'Ichi-Fuji, Ni-Taka, San-Nasubi' (一富士二鷹三茄子) One - Fuji, Two - Hawk, Three - aubergine.

One theory for this being lucky is because Mount Fuji is the highest and most revered mountain in Japan, a hawk is a clever and strong bird, and the word for aubergine 'nasu' with a different kanji 成す also suggests achieving something great.

Ahem. My hatsuyume? I dreamt that I got some rice stuck behind my back teeth... Now what do you read into that for my coming luck this year?!

1 comment:

Mountaincat said...

Maybe to dream about rice is good. Was the rice used as money in Japan in old times ? Maybe it means wealth... :) who knows!

I did not had Hatsuyume, but I had a dream during astronomical or pagan Christmas time, which is in time when is longest night and shortest day. It was about travel... :)