Pages

Friday, November 28, 2008

Random bits and bobs

Well, I'm about at the end of my time here, and so this post is a mixture of things that I noticed and didn't write down... I've added lots more photos to the link at the left too.

  • People stand on the right side of the escalator in Osaka and the left in the rest of Japan. Apparently it's because of the Expo in 1970 when Osaka was trying to become more international...
  • As I've often raved, throughout Japan trains and buses are incredibly punctual. My journey to the school north of Kobe takes just under 2 hours door to door, including waiting time. However the waiting time is at the start of the journey, never between the train and the bus. There was a 6 minute connection time between the train and the bus, and a 3-4 minute walk. I don't believe there is another country in the world (and certainly not Britain!) where you would be happy that you would make that connection!
  • I always felt safe where I was living, but the area by the station wasn't the most salubrious! Lots of dodgy bars and clubs! For example, next to the 24 hour supermarket there was a sign depicting a smiley nurse with not a lot on for an establishment on the 7th floor of the next building. I don't think it was a hospital...
  • Food is good and cheap in Osaka as per its reputation. Not necessarily better than anywhere else in the country, but the combination of price, quality and variety is good.
  • I often saw groups of old people sitting outside their houses in the late afternoon, so that they could watch the world go by.
  • There was a stretch of main road near my flat, where the old people gathered, that had been planted with beautiful smelling roses and night jasmine. It was lovely coming past there.
  • Along the same stretch of road, there was a dear dog that I used to talk to and ruffle up. He was obviously well-loved, but needed a good groom.
  • My local supermarket here sold delicious brown rice bread. However, take care... Brown rice bread catches fire very easily... I took my eye off it for a second the other afternoon and flames were coming out my cooker. Don't panic, don't panic! Luckily, I sorted it out before the smoke alarm had a chance to kick in. I really didn't want to be that foreigner who burnt the toast...
  • Osaka has some really interesting areas, and is very well-placed for visiting the rest of Kansai. It also has a big airport close by which means that it's easy to get to the rest of Japan. Who knows, maybe I'll move to Osaka sometime?!
  • Why don't any of the subway lines start at number 1? Did they start numbering later in the sequence in case they extend the line?
Probably more things that I've forgotten...

4 comments:

Mountaincat said...

Well, I observed that Sweden has the most “annoying” train punctuality. At least in Japan, there are some delays in rush hours and when it rains.

Alison said...

And in Britain they can be annoyingly delayed! Are you from Sweden?

Mountaincat said...

I am from Latvia. Trains are on time as in Sweden, but rail network is nowhere such busy as in Sweden or Britain.

In Latvia, the reason for being on time, is that drivers get bonus, which could be up to 100% of salary, so there is incentive for them.

Alison said...

Very interesting!