Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

New pet...

Wow!  I've just discovered I have a pet!  No picture yet, because he/she won't stay still for long enough but he looks like this http://www.nara-edu.ac.jp/ECNE/kaerhebi/kaisetu/yamori.htm...  The other evening I was on the telephone and heard a loud noise between the picture rail and the wall.  I assumed it was an unnaturally large cockroach, because I saw rather too many of them last summer (ie the first summer that I lived here).

This year however, I've seen maybe only two cockroaches and I'd assumed that that was just because I'd eliminated them the previous year (the house had been empty for at least a couple of years before I moved in). 

But I think I now have my answer...  I just saw a gecko in my lounge!  My first thought was 'aaghhh, how do I catch him and put him out' but reading up about him on the internet, I think I might keep him.  He's way too fast to catch anyway, is likely to drop his tail (painful for him) if he feels threatened, and apparently feeds on cockroaches and other insects.  Do I keep him, or use mothballs to repel him?  And how did he get into the house in the first place? I think he'll probably leave pretty soon of his own accord as soon as it starts to get cooler given that my house is either roasting hot in summer or freezing cold in winter!

More reading tells me that gecko is 'yamori ヤモリ' in Japanese, meaning 'house guardian'...

No comments: